Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:50:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please, write to us so we can activate your new account!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MTI use?  (Read 24326 times)
LuckyWon

« on: May 12, 2010, 03:22:03 PM »

I am curious how others are using the market timing.  Up until the last negative (May 3) I wasn't using the MTI.

So on this last MTI negative signal I tightened all my stops rather than selling.  I follow the V4 portfolio so these dates show what happened to me.
- May 3 I didn't purchase FTP as the MTI was close to going negative.
- May 4 The MTI went negative and I tightened my stops
- May 5 was stopped out of TPL (negative spike in the morning)
- May 7 should have been stopped out of VTR (but wasn't due to my own mistake)
- May 12 (today) was stopped out of RVX (negative spike in afternoon)

I am not comfortable with this method. It seems that in all cases I was stopped out by a spike in the market.

I still have VTR only due to my own mistake.  The MTI looks like it might have a chance to go positive today.  My gut says stay out... but we all know what emotion can do to.

So how have some other SSP followers dealt with the MTI?
markcle

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:12:43 PM »

I think the problem with tight stops for SSp is that these are very volitile stocks (as u experienced!),tight stops only work well for big slow elephants like TRP.TO for example- if trp drops ,say 5% in one day- u know somethings VERY wrong! Peter Grandich has an amazing track record for calling the market and he is sticking to his June/July prediction as the top (granich.com) and I beleive he'll be right again! He loves gold and calls for $1300-1500 this year- I hope hes right here too cause I'm loadin' up! Wink
bryanmcn

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 07:07:50 AM »

I set stops according to previous tecnical support areas or by considering how much risk I want to take. Then I'll raise them over time. I noticed that this time I was almost completey stopped out of all my positions by the time the MTI indicator went down.

Here's what I do using VTR as an example;
If I entered now at $1.65 the initial stop would be around $1.40 so the risk is $.25
If my total portfolio size is say $100,000, I would not want to risk more than 1% or $1000. So $1000 / $.25 = 4000 shares. (My position size).

When the MTI turns down it seems to be a good time to look for buying ops. I made some decent money playing HXU, JIN and FFH when they reversed.

Lots of good deals out there still.
Bryan   
markcle

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 08:58:56 PM »

Bryan,

Nice to here from an optomist for a change (re:Lots of good deals out there still). Every blog,article,video,etc, that I come across says "Look out below!!" I've read your stuff on here before-please share your thoughts on the good deals you are seeing . Only gold seems to be on the buy list of the people I follow and that is because everything else stinks:paper money,stocks,real estate,bonds!!??Where else to hide but gold (and ammo & beef jerky of course  Smiley)
LuckyWon

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 10:42:03 AM »

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for your post.  I am curious as to what you do with the stocks/stops once the MTI turns negative.  Do you just leave the stops in, tighten them up, or simply sell all the portfolio stocks on the day the MTI turns negative?

I have been following SSPv4 without the MTI, but feel that we are due for a pull back.  So recently decided to try and use the MTI.  This was my first experience using it.  I know that SSP just sells all portfolio+ stocks on the day the MTI goes negative.  I just feel that if the stock is still listed as a buy/hold in the non+ portfolios it might still increase in value, so rather than sell it, I tightened up my stops.  But I guess due to the volatility of them I was stopped out.  And now the MTI has turned back positive, for now... might be negative by the end of today.

I think that I am going to stay out for awhile and see what this MTI does.  I still hold VTR with my original stop in effect.  What's that expression for this time of year "sell in may and stay away" at least until the fall.

Cheers

bryanmcn

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 07:13:28 AM »

Hi Markcl
I think the best SSP weekly stock picks are;
TGL
BTO
ICI
FTP
and VTR
I would avoid;
WTN
and RVX
I'm neutral on COM

In my opinion it seems that oil has been pounded down too low. I would look for it (and oil stocks) to bounce from here. I may play HOU on Monday if it starts to reverse.
Bryan
bryanmcn

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 07:32:19 AM »

Luckywon
I watch the MTI too but I find it can be too slow in volitile markets like we're in now. It works well when a long downtrend starts or in catastrophic downturns but not in short market corrections like this one.
Generally I set my initial stops with plenty of room and gradually tighten them up as the stock gains but...
In these volitile markets I am more carefull. The past week I have been day and swing trading so if the stock moves against me I may just get out, admit I was wrong and take my losses.

As you guessed, the MTI turned down on Friday but I think we'll see volitility drop and the markets will stablize at higher levels this coming week.
Bryan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: