Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:28:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You have to register again even if you are already a member of the Super Stock Picker.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Probably too simple question  (Read 17313 times)
garilou

« on: July 11, 2008, 02:29:06 AM »

Sorry, as you probably have noticed, English is not my primary language, but still: what for are the words underneath the names:
applaud (this I understand what it means)
and
smite (did not find in my dictionary)?

What happens if I click on one. I guess that if I click applaud, it will mean that I appreciated the post? and smite? that I did not?
Have those some effect on the member who wrote the post?

Sorry for being so ignorant for a "4 star senior member" (No idea how I got there...)
bryanmcn

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 11:39:04 AM »

I have no idea what "smite" means and I'm an anglophone with "hero" status"! Ha ha (I think that just means we post a lot)
Super Stock Picker
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 03:24:05 PM »

Hello,

Here is a definition of smite:
http://www.answers.com/smite&r=67

Applaud and Smite affects the karma of a member. You can use those when you find the poster either very interesting or very boring. It is a kind of self moderation by the users of the forum. You need a given number of posts before you can applaud or smite other. I'll check if we can modify this term. What would you propose instead?

The stars and the member level are triggered by the number of posts only. It helps readers to get an idea if you have been over here for a while or not.
garilou

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 05:31:16 PM »

I suspected smite was in opposition to applaud.
I guess I would rarely dare to smite, sometimes I would like to applaud.

As for the word it-self, I guess my dictionary is too old, but I after I read the ling you sent me... I would really not think of a better word, especially that I me!

I was wondering why so many people had so many stars and so few had "karma" points.

See I have applauded you, and your Karma went up from 0 to 1: you deserved it, no? You always take the time to answer, even... too simple questions.

Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: