Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:12:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please, write to us so we can activate your new account!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there any way this works  (Read 23861 times)
thriks

« on: May 24, 2007, 06:55:21 PM »

I am new to this field just wanna try things out.If i wanna start stocks from about 1000$ just to see how it works --how do i find the best long term stock...I mean a better canadian stock which is going well for years...how can i make my money worth---whats is the best plavce to by stock is it the tsx????can some one help me out --sorry I know I am damn new? Angry
bryanmcn

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 08:45:11 PM »

Hi Thriks
Keep saving. You need more money. $1000 isn't enough to get started in any stock. IMHO

trav909

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 10:49:22 PM »

Buy into a large corporation.  Banks are good, usually safe.  Check their history.  Your money should grow faster there than in a savings account.
poopeepants

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 01:04:23 AM »

Save your money and in th mean time paper trade.  You are in a good situation where you can learn and not loose.
thriks

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 01:44:20 AM »

wowo thanks for the replies... whats is paper stock ----i guess than keeping my money in the account i ve rather buy a bank stock?Huh
bryanmcn

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 07:36:56 AM »

Paper trading is "pretend" trading. You pretend to buy stocks and keep track of what you would have made or lost. The theory goes that if you do well, you have a proven system that will make you money when you trade for real. The problem is that emotion takes a much bigger part in your decision making when its for real. You don't trade the same when there's real money at stake, therefore paper trading doesn't prove much.
If you saved $1000, you should be able to save another $1000, and another and another. Have a portion of your paycheck go directly into an RSP or savings accound. Don't touch it till you have enough to trade. Read "The Wealthy Barber". It will explain a strategy of "paying yourself first". A couple of other good books on saving and wealth management are "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and George Glason's "The Richest Man in Babylon". 
Good luck!
windeon

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 11:13:37 AM »

Hi
Maybe this can help you out a bit, but first you'll need a little more money say like $1100 in total.
Then find an online broker with no minimum deposit or with a minimum deposit of $1000 or less and with low commision- and other fees. Two examples E-TRADE and TradeKing. Buy 4 ETFs  2 which follow the Total US stock market and 2 following the Total EMERGING markets. Weigh them all equal and leave them alone for a year. In the meantime you start saving $100 a month in a savings account and after a year you put that money in your broker account and reallocate all of the money over the 4 ETFs (this is the money you have after a year in the ETFs PLUS the money you saved in 1 year)
You keep this up for a few years and you'll probably have enough money to put in Mutual Funds or stocks. It's a start Good Luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: