Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:03:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please, write to us so we can activate your new account!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: superstockpicker is doing extremely well  (Read 69849 times)
jeff

« on: January 19, 2007, 11:39:33 AM »

Thank you very much for helping me making money. I started trading 5 years ago. I tried different ways and I am lucky that I finally found superstockpicker last year. For my experiece Superstockpicker is the best. For example: I picked win.to, up over 160% and i am still holding it. most recently I followed superstockpicker and bought tth.to, up 20% in a few days. Also, I bought iex.to 3 days ago, today it jumped  over 35% so far at this time.

Again, thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Jeff
tuzo

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 06:02:40 PM »

The truly eerie thing about the picks is how often it has caught huge moves to the upside.  At first I thought it must be a coincidence but it seems to be happening with regularity.  iex.to up over 50% today.
jeff

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 08:08:55 PM »

I had more winners than losers from my past experiences with superstockpicker . And I was able to cut the losses for the losers. TH.TO was another great pick from superstockpicker. Superstockpicker picked  TH.TO last October at around $2.5. I bought it but sold out shortly after. TH.TO is selling today at 9.27. (I don't know when superstockpicker suggested selling, I sold out before superstockpicker's  sell recommendation, because I had to go out of town and was unable to check the the stocks or emails, so I wanted to be on the safe side and sold TH.TO. I wish I still had this one. Imagine the price increase from $2.5 to $9.21 in about 3 months time!!!!) I came back after the new year and started follow superstockpicker again: I bought tth.to and iex.to from the recent recommendation. both great winners. And I think both of them will go much higher. iex.to may take some to digest today's huge gains (above 50%) while tth.to is ready for next ride. we may have a great week next week with tth.to.

What I am trying to say is, superstockpicker is really doing a good job.

take care and happy investing
Jeff
DCA

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 05:24:21 PM »

Started a small portfolio with the stock picker just before the market dipped.

So far annualized real return is  4 1/2%.

Jury is still out.

DCA

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:15:44 PM »

Now at the end of month 2.  I have rolled over about 1/4 of my invested portfolio and while we had a slight dip into negative territory real return is now at 5%.

While the return is currently a bit on the low side when compared to my usuall expected result it is squeaking in very slightly better over the last two months than the part of my portfolio that is 'ignoring' the stock picker.
bryanmcn

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 04:30:14 PM »

I follow the V2 and have a year to date of about 5%. A far cry from the 32% quoted performance and about the same as the TSX.
Super Stock Picker
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 06:17:58 PM »

Hello bryanmcn and DCA,

Very interesting to hear about your real life feedback.

Would you like to tell us about your way to use our recommendations?

We assume that the portfolio is always fully invested and unbalanced. Do you try to keep close to that rule or do you trade another way?

Were you keeping cash when the portfolio have been rising? Were you under-weighting  a big performer?
bryanmcn

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 08:35:15 AM »

I usually have some cash although there are times when I am fully invested. If a portfolio has only a couple of stocks, then I will size my position according to the volitility of the stock and the amount I want to risk. So ,yes, I may be underweight on some high performing stocks. Your high performers often trade at under $2. Stocks that trade under $5 will not get the weight of a higher priced stock because of the increased risk. I am not one of the very few traders that can stomach a 40% draw down so I use stop losses as well. Stops will help me sleep at night but I may miss out on a big move after a shakeout.

To put things in perspective - I got a 50% gain on FNI which represented in real dollars a gain of $10K for me but that represents only 5% of my total portfolio.

If you add up all the gains and losses on your individual transactions they will NOT equal to your total gain or loss in your total portfolio because you will have cash from time to time. Cash is a valid position. 
DCA

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 11:22:04 AM »

Hello SSP,

First of all it should be noted that I am reporting only realized returns after all commissions, fees, interest, etc.  I have also been following the stock picker for around two months so most gains are currently in unrealized state.

I would not base an investment decision to follow or not follow the stock picker on unrealized gains but as of today the anuallized gain assuming all unrealized gains are realized would be ~53%.

I am also charging the SP portfolio "interest"  at my average trailing return on all investments (stocks, GIC, bonds, etc.) currently at around 26%.

As for my portfolio weighting:  I am mainly following all the Ultimate portfolios.  When a stock appears in the Price momentum weekly I start watching (if not already.  There has been an overlap between my stock picks and the stock picker).  As the stock appears in UV1 I buy $5K.  Some stocks I have already held and some I have bought more or less based on other factors.  Then as the stock appears in each succesive portfolio I buy the same number of shares as the first week.  This achieves a similar weighting to the SP.

Regards,

DCA
bryanmcn

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 08:21:38 AM »

Hi DCA
Are you saying that your year to date gain (realized and unrealized) is about 18%?
I keep a spread sheet with total dollars in each of my investment accounts. The percent gains are calculated monthly based on the value of the accounts.
Quotes of percentage gains, average percent gains, anualized gains can be very misleading. Take a simple example - you have two buys and two sells. You gain 50% on the first position and loose 30% on the second. Average gain is 50-30/2 = 10% right?
WRONG! Say you started with $10K. The 50% gain gets you to $15000. Then the 30% loss gets you to $10,500. Thats a 5% gain, not 10%.
What do you have in your account now, what did you have on Jan 1, what is the difference divided by what you had on Jan 1 - Thats your real year to date return. Period.
Do the the people at SSP get the kinds of returns they quote on this site in their own accounts?
Why not handle your reporting the way most people trade? Assign a set amount of dollars in a pretend account then buy and sell stocks based on the amount of cash available. Your buys and sells would have to indicate number of shares but other than that, it would be the same process.

DCA

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 02:42:15 PM »

Hi bryanmcm,
     No, that would be an inaccurate statement.  I have only be following SP for two months.

The real return has been 3.4% of current invested total.  I never count unrealized gains for tomorrow they might be unrealized losses.  (Revenue Canada shares this attitude also!)

Do the SSP people get the returns posted on their site?  I do not know.  But in ten months I will know wether I do and wether I should continue to pay attention to their tips.

In some trades I have done better than SP in others I have not done as well.  The closing price on the day of the order that SP uses is as fair as any system I could come up with.  As for commisions some people would be paying $100+ others $4.95 it depends on your volume and broker, so how can SP honestly include that?
Super Stock Picker
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 05:22:01 PM »

Hello guys,

To answer your question about the returns we get, we enjoy nice returns in our account but not in the same order as what is on the site. The main reason for that is our account being too small.

To illustrate this point and to answer the need of real life examples, we have now open two threads that are virtual portfolios following the orders of the Price Momentum v2 portfolio. See them here:
DCA

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 06:20:48 PM »

Well for the third month it was quite a roller coaster!  We dipped slightly into negative territory and then zoomed up to ~69%, but we end the month at 14.92% realized for an average profit of 2.2% per trade.

We also hit the first rollover point with the time following the portfolio being the same (91 days) as the average hold time. (dollar weighted.)

This months ride down was primarily due to stopping out on Ruby.  This loss was offset by a nice profit on Mercator.

D
DCA

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 08:24:29 PM »

Month four and the roller coaster is a little calmer.  The roll over time has increased to 103 days with the profit rising to an average 6.1% per $ sold.

Anuallized return is now 40.2%

D
DCA

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 12:07:31 PM »

Month 5

It is a good thing that I am reporting only real returns since if I included unrealized the return would have taken a beating this week.

Ignoring that this has been a remarkably stable month!  Annullized return has risen slightly to 40.5%, profit still at 6.1% per $ sold and roll over time has returned to 90 days.

D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: