Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
April 19, 2024, 12:01:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please, write to us so we can activate your new account!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: Is anyone really bothered when some exchanges are made in French in the English forums?
Not at all
No if I can follow up in English.
No if the topic has been started in English.
No because I am my-self a Francophone who posts mostly in English
Yes because I do not understand a word of French
Yes if the topic relates directly to SSP's strategy
Yes, French should only be read in the French Forums.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some French in the English forums  (Read 35164 times)
garilou

« on: September 05, 2009, 03:28:01 AM »

Hi,
jackerss and I exchanged a few words in French in a topic very specific to jackerss.
They were mostly emotional reactions.
http://www.superstockpicker.com/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=1645

We were kindly asked to move away towards the French Forums.
Lots of us Francophones have posted 99% of our new topics or replies in the English Forums, because the French forum is so dead.
And lots of French speaking members have posted only once or twice, and never came back.
This is the reason I would like to take to pulse of a community that I've liked for more then 2 years.

I have set many options, limited to 2 per vote, if you think it is not enough to express your feeling about that question, let me know.

Be sure that I do not want to start a political debate here.

Thanks you for participating,
Louise
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 10:52:33 PM by garilou » Logged
DCA

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 11:07:18 AM »

I have always thought it silly to have different forums for different languages.  Why even limit it to just french and english?  Admittidly if I post in a celtic language I am not likely to get much of a reply, but why would it be a problem?

Speaking just of french, my ability to understand is sadly limited but not non-existent.  My ability to respond is limited to "Anglais, si vous plait."  The reverse is not uncommon either.  On a trip to France I had a conversation where the person I was talking to spoke in slow simple french and I in slow simple english each of us mixing in a few words of the other's language utilizing bad grammer.

D
garilou

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 12:22:06 AM »

DCA,
You wrote exactly what it think should be: at least try to communicate, and forget about the grammar.

In Montreal, I once met two Americans who totally refused that I would speak English to them, they said they had worked hard enough to learn French before they came to Quebec! (exceptions admittedly)
I was so amazed, and they really spoke French very well, I could not believe it.

Nowadays, in Quebec, most Anglophones speak so well French, when I think how things were when I was in my teens.
You can hear married couples where one talks French to the other one, who answers in English.

I lived 5 years in Vienna, I had to learn German for my studies, I became obliged to understand the dialect to do my errands,

In the Music Academy where I studied, 72% of the students were non Austrians: Japanese, French, Danish, Spanish, Americans,English, (very few English Canadians though, don't know why).

Still, so many teachers gave their lessons (when they were private lessons) only in French it the student was Francophone.
When a student had a lesson with a great teacher, there were always at least 10 other students who came to listen to the lesson: I have NEVER heard one complain about the fact that the lesson was given in French.

None the less, I do not go as far as you and find
silly to have different forums for different languages
, at least when it goes to explain SSP's system which is not easy to understand. I do appreciate the efforts of SSP in that sense.

But in my whole life, here was the first time that I was told to go somewhere else because I exchanged one message in French with another Francophone. I felt like the Blacks in the US 40 to 60 years ago: it hurts!!!.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:50:35 AM by garilou » Logged
DCA

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »

Language can be a remarkably political thing.  Here on the left coast of Canada about the only french I encounter are the militant civil servants imported into post offices because of the law requiring all federal offices to have someone who can speak french.  (Why do I suspect the reverse is not true in Quebec?)  These people are normally the laziest in the office and insist on refering to the name of the province as "Columbian Britianique" (sp) although the truly militant of them  say the name is "Columbian Franconique" (or something like that).

This is a silly as me refering to places in Quebec such as Royal Mountain or Three Rivers.  (Strangely that last one I did hear a CBC reporter using.  Took me a while to figure out where he was talking about.)

But the lack of french here is an issue of history and geography.  My investments are not constrained by history and while constrained by geography to a certain extent it seems that both the TSX and the Bourse de Paris seem to have companies in areas that use french as the primary language and occasionlly the smaller companies send me information only in french.

While I may be willing to regulate french to the back of the bus for mailing a letter it would be financially foolish to do so for investment purposes.  The door that locks french speakers into their own forum also locks me out.

Actually the Bourse is now run from New York in conjuction with the NYSE.  Eventually we will all sing the US national anthem in Mandrin and this will be mout.

D
garilou

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 01:11:45 PM »

DCA.
This is all terribly interesting.
I have as a matter of fact never met a Canadian from British Columbia, (hard to believe) and I wish we could keep exchanging.
I would really like to know more about "the rest of Canada".

But because I have written that I did not want this to become a political debate, I think we'll have to stop it here, unless SSP tells us wether we can go on without problem or that it is not the place for such discussions.

I would like it to be a friendly debate anyway, but SSP could tell us this is a financial forum.

The post has been read at least 70 times (I substract the times when you and I came back), but I still have only 3 votes in the pole, including mine and yours.
But I just realize now that the poll seems to be in :
Super Stock Picker Forum > En Francais > La Bourse en Général > Some French in the English forums.
So it is very possible that lots of people won't see it
And this is the Labour Day week-End!

I am curious, and really wish that I'll have more replies.

Louise
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 01:19:45 PM by garilou » Logged
Super Stock Picker
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 09:26:45 PM »

But I just realize now that the poll seems to be in :
Super Stock Picker Forum > En Francais > La Bourse en Général > Some French in the English forums.
So it is very possible that lots of people won't see it

The topic has been moved in the most suitable category:
"The Super Stock Picker and You"
garilou

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 01:36:56 AM »

Thanks SSP for moving the message and the poll to a better suited place.

Louise

Stuckel

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 03:50:52 AM »

i will try to understand it. but i had french just in school. Sitename: www.Devisenhandel-Forex-Online.de
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 03:42:43 AM by Stuckel » Logged
garilou

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 04:58:10 AM »

Thanks, Stuckel,
At least for trying.

But since I posted that poll, SSP has once and for all decided that no, not one word of French in the English forums, not even "Merci!" I guess.

I haven't been very active on the forum for quite a while, it took me too much time.

Good luck any way on this forum where I used to be happy and feel friendship with many of the participants.

Louise
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: