Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:59:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please, write to us so we can activate your new account!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual $50,000 portfolio  (Read 133141 times)
Super Stock Picker
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 11:30:25 PM »

Hello bryanmcn,

The post above, #28, is an update in date of August 27th. We have a lot more posting to do before we catch up with today.

That's why, currently, the figures are skewed big time.
owler

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2007, 10:16:31 PM »

I have two questions, first: Does this virtual portfolio update have a chance to be continued? And the dumb one: Where can I find the reference portfolio value in pts for a given time? I searched it in the portfolio tab unsuccessfully.

Thank's and happy new year to all of you!

Owler
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 01:47:35 AM by owler » Logged
Super Stock Picker
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2007, 03:08:01 PM »

Hello Owler,

Yes, we do plan to start again updating the virtual portfolios but due to time constraints, we are not sure when this could happen.

And your next question was not dumb at all. We have to make public the history files of each portfolios. But it is currently an xml file on our side, we may need to export it in a easier format, maybe csv, and link it from each portfolio's description page.

For the time being, here is attached the history xml file for the Ultimate Price Momentum v2 portfolio, updated on the 12/28/2007. (Remember that you need to be logged in the forum to get access to the attached files)

* Ultimate Price Momentum v2 performances.xml (40.1 KB - downloaded 2460 times.)
mircho52

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2008, 06:52:11 PM »

I am sorry to ask another possibly dumb question but what is the difference between pts and percentage?

Mircho
Super Stock Picker
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 10:13:23 AM »

Hello mircho52,

The points are the (virtual) value of the portfolio whereas the percentage shows the increase of the portfolio's value since the beginning of a period.

If the portfolio value was 100 pts at the beginning of the period and ends up at a value of 200 pts, then the increase of 100 pts corresponds to a 100% increase.

So, to summarize, a portfolio at 200 pts is a 100% performance.
CoOlSlY

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 09:41:58 AM »

Let's see... I'm a bit new to this so maybe following is a bit more difficult for me *but*:

Let's say I decide to follow the Momentum4... There is actually 1 title... I decide to put for example, 50,000$.  When there is another stock, do I sell half of this "50,000$" or if the stock has gone up and is at 56,000$, half of the "new" amount?

So we now have two stocks, a third one comes in, do I make my figures again with the "original" 50,000$ so sell 1/3 of the two first stocks considering a value of 50,000$ or considering the "new" value? I see that you make some calculation before selling/buying with the stock performance but now sure I understand properly (even after reading the 3 pages...!)

Thank's
Super Stock Picker
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »

Hello,

In order to understand how to allocate the cash in our portfolios when there is more than one stock, you can read this post that explains how the money is allocated:
http://www.superstockpicker.com/forum/index.php?topic=3.0

Also, this thread will explain more how to do the reallocations:
http://www.superstockpicker.com/forum/index.php?topic=619.0

And this one gives a spread sheet that makes the calculations for you:
http://www.superstockpicker.com/forum/index.php?topic=641.msg1442#msg1442
bryanmcn

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2009, 07:06:34 AM »

Can we get an update on the Virtual Portfolio?
Super Stock Picker
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2009, 12:29:48 PM »

Hello Bryan,

Well, the Virtual portfolios have not been updated in a long time. Knowing that it was a manual process, it would be an immense task to update them today to close the gap with the time when we stopped the update in this thread.

So, we don't plan in the close future to have enough time to update the former portfolios.

Would you be interested in following a new virtual portfolio that would start from scratch? If yes, we may think to find a more automatic way to do it.
bryanmcn

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2009, 12:31:51 PM »

Nov 26, 2009
A new portfolio would be better than nothing so yes.
If you can automate it can you post the results weekly?
Thanks
Bryan
jeff

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2009, 07:53:04 PM »

or you may use silicon investor's portfolio to record the buy and sell,like one friend here in this forum told me some time ago. you can check the current holdings' performance, total market value, and profit/loss of each past trade. so we can view the increase or decrease of the virtual $50000 and the trading history any time we want. you just give us the passwort after you registered an account.

Thanks!

here is the link:
http://siliconinvestor.advfn.com/default.aspx
bhunji42

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2010, 03:57:57 PM »

I would be interested in a new virtual $5000 portfolio, since that's how much a new TFSA account can start with...
newinvestor1

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2017, 03:44:32 PM »

Hello,
I have a question on how the rate of return is calculated.
1. SSP assumes that all the money is fully invested.
2. Everytime there is a new buy signal or sell signal, the weight factors are recalculated based on each stock's performance and existing stocks are bought on the same day. So the buy price of the stock must change when you calculate the performance.

For example:
TCW stock was initially bought on 7th November 2016 (at the closing price on the same day) for $2.93 in Ultimate Price Momentum v3 (UPMV3). After 7th November, 2016, more than 5 sell signals are given (and few more buy signals are given) before 6th March 2017. For these sell and buy signals, there had to be re-balancing of the portfolio, causing to buy few more shares of TCW when these signals are given. The price of the TCW stock on these dates (for example: 14th November - sell IVN, 28th November-sell PIF and PIX) is definitely greater than initial price of $2.93. So as part of rebalancing, if more shares of TCW were bought, the average buy price of TCW would have been somewhere around $3.XX. But when I see the performance of TCW on 6th March, 2017 after sell signal is posted, I see the overall return as 57.68% (i.e., ((4.62/2.93) - 1 )*100). So TCW average buy price was considered at the original buy signal i.e., $2.93.   Doesn't this give wrong rate of returns for the overall portfolio?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: