Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:57:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You have to register again even if you are already a member of the Super Stock Picker.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Timing issue  (Read 22062 times)
Lucky Bones

« on: July 19, 2007, 08:09:04 PM »

Hiya. thanks for the great site. My main problem with theses strategies is the fact that I work from 8 to 6. So I would only get monday's picks monday night. Then I could only place sell orders for Tues. morning to free-up the cash, and then only place the buy orders for wednesday morning. 48-hour delay  Huh
    Any one else have these problems?
    Any suggestions?

TIA
burd

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:26:53 PM »

Sign up as a member and you will receive email Friday night. You can then buy and sell the stocks before you go to work on Monday/Tuesday. Or You can buy and sell with market orders before the market opens. The price should be close to the SSP's buy or sell price if you buy Tuesday morning.

Burd
« Last Edit: July 21, 2007, 11:33:22 PM by Super Stock Picker » Logged
DCA

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 08:36:52 PM »

I would sugest that you view the orders for the weekly portfolios as a weekly order.  Not one that has to be placed at an exact time.

Imagine if everyone following SSP suggestions placed market orders at the close of market on Mondays...I would make a lovely profit by buying on Monday morning and selling into the SSP rush at close.

SSP does not filter for liquidity so some of the SSP picks are very difficult to buy or sell in one batch without skewing so the orders need to be spread over a few days in any case.

Lucky Bones

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 08:50:29 PM »

OK thanks for your replies. I have signed-up for the email alerts, and I find it reassuring to know that I will get the trade suggestions the day after closing on the day before so that I could place sell orders for the next morning and buy orders for the next morning. This leaves only a 24-hour delay instead of 48hrs. It will be interesting to see what difference will be made because of this delay.  I have started paper-trading a $10 000 portfolio as of Friday morning. If there is a big disparity because of the 24-hour delay, I will post it here.
Thanks again.
Lucky Bones

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 03:22:09 PM »

Well, I started following this at about the worst time possible. August was a bad month all around the stock world. I was paper-trading potfolios V1-V2-V3-V4 and V5. All positions that were closed were at a loss, and most of the open positions were in the red. I got discouraged and quit the rigorous record-keeping, but I came in here every couple of days to watch the portfolios. Maybe the record keepers here were a bit discouraged also, seeing as their posts trailed off about the same time near end of August.
    Despite the downturn, the portfolios came roaring back. I back traded V4 as true as I could and came-up with a 3-month gain of 71% including open positions. My virtual $10000 had become a theoretical $17121 with all commisions considered.  Since I'm on sick-leave, I could have really used any liquid profits possible. It also means that I don't have the time constraints I did when working.
     So, now I'm in with some borrowed real cash, and quite enthusiastic.
     Thanks for keeping this site running SSP!
Lucky Bones

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 11:18:23 AM »

Hiya, I received this email today from a new member:

""Hi, I am referring to this post that you made: http://www.superstockpicker.com/forum/index.php?topic=266.0

I was just wondering how that did end up working out for you with the borrowed money? I ask because I would like to start the same for myself.""

Well, apparently, bad timing is something I'm pretty good at.

I started with $10000 borrowed money with the plan to make the loan payments ($300/month), from within this project.  I made the first purchases on Oct. 25th on the 4 stocks in V-4. By the end of the first month, and after the first loan payment of $300, the account value was down to $8475 for a portfolio performance of -15.25%.
Pretty discouraging, as I was still on sick leave with only unemployment insurance income.
Total After M2---  -9.7%
My poky ended, and I had zero income from here on out, and was clinging to straws.
M3---  -39%
M4---  -29.7%
M5---  -34%
M6---  -25%
M7---  -6%, this includes 7x$300 payments = $2100
Seeing as how I was ill, the only ones that would lend me money were our favorite loan sharks. (Sounds like C-T fiance) @29.99% interest.
No big deal I thought, as per the paper trading returns. Well, now after 7 months, the principal on the loan is still $9417, despite the face that I have paid them a total of $2100.
Using $9417, (instead of $10000), my project performance has finally turned onto the green side, and getting better.
Now back to work, I have applied for a new credit card with a low interest grace period, so that I can move the $9417(plus more interest now), out of the jaws of the shark.
   So, although this is a very powerful system, along with that comes high volatility. I got on the wrong side of it at the worst possible time in my life. But I'm stubborn and kept with it, and heading for greener pastures now.
   In retrospect, this system asks you to follow the robot blindly, and this works most of the time, but I could have benefited from some stop-losses in the first few months.  Then again, I've used them to protect gains on GCE and WTN, and now find myself on the outside looking in as they climb inexplicably through the oversold ozone layer.
   I can't suggest borrowing money to invest here. But I will end up making money, from nothing, by the end of the year. And when I look at it that way, C-T is making money out of my efforts, but overall, I am making money with their money, and this will increase as I transfer the loan into a lower interest rate. And this is one step better than the banks making money of off me, and me getting nothing in return.

Peace--out

LuckyWon

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 02:00:33 PM »

Wow Lucky Bones!!

Sounds like you need to change you name.  Wink

I am glad that you seem to be getting back on your feet.  I hope that every one who is considering using SSP reads your post, just to avoid repeating your situation.  I started SSP in Jan 2007, and am just recently starting to see some gains.  However, until last fall I was trying some of my own methods to better SSP's returns.  As a result I have missed some of the biggest gains

1. NEVER use money that you need.  When you have no reliable income stream, that is NOT the time to start investing, specially with a volatile portfolio like SSP.

2. Stick with it.  If you have a system with a proven track record, chances are it will recover. SSP has a great track record, and I personally have found that you have to stick to it.  I think that your stubbornness is probably what brought you back in the green, so kudos to you, for sticking to it.  You mention that you are talented at bad timing, but if you stick with SSP, you are only able to use your talent once; picking when you start SSP.

3. Remove the emotion.  This is kinda the same as the previous rule, but its important and worth repeating.  It is also one of the hardest rules to obey.

4. As for borrowing to invest, I am OK with that, in fact I encourage it.  BUT you still must not break RULE #1!!  Make sure that any money you borrow to invest, you are capable of making the payments.  Pretend that you loose 100% of your borrowed investments, and then picture your life making those payments until the loan is paid off.  Are you willing to take that risk?  Other advice on this topic is to try and get the lowest borrowing rate.  Don't plan on 100%+ returns, plan on something more reasonable like 7%.  If your borrowing rate won't let you make money with investment returns of 7%, you shouldn't use it.  Otherwise you are gambling and not investing.

5. Diversify.  Do not consider SSP stock picks as diversified.  SSP system works,   you can get great returns using it.  But like Bryanmcm mentions it can a rough ride if its your only source of investing.

I hope that your situation keeps getting better.

Cheers,
Luckywon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: