Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:45:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You have to register again even if you are already a member of the Super Stock Picker.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have any alternative/clean energy penny  (Read 30480 times)
michellehudson

« on: February 13, 2012, 02:14:38 AM »

I've been searching the web for some good alternative/clean energy stocks, seems this would be a good sector to gamble on with penny stocks.

So if you guys/gals have any, please log on and post them in a reply to this thread.
garilou

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 12:02:51 AM »

Hi, Michelle,

Sorry I did not see your message, and took so long to react.
At last someone looking for a clean stock.
It is hard, when trading the TSX to find real clean stocks, since most stocks in the tsx are miners (and banks and a few other for sure)

This one is not an energy stock but it is worth a look.

Bioteq Environmental Technologies (BQE).
www.bioteq.ca

I have mentioned this stock a few times I think on this forum.

It is trading now between 0.21 and 0.22.

I have had a few gains on this one.
The company has developed a unique technology to clean industrial waste water that has received many prices and awards.
It gets its revenue part from contracts to clean some sites, and part from the sale of the metals that they recover during the process.
It has contracts all over the world.

It has have been affected by the drop of metals prices but it made a small high at 0.24 at the beginning of February, it has then been in a trading range since then between 0.215 and 0.21
It seems that it will survive the crisis, and should profit from from the recovery.

Even if it does not have very big volumes, (average daily volumes 60K) I've always been able to buy and sell at the prices that I wanted.

Have a look at the insiders tradings.

Tell me what you think.

Tell me what you think, or if since you asked, if you have found other interesting alternative/clean stocks.

Also have a look at this article:
http://www.businessinsider.com/opportunities-in-clean-rare-earth-mining-dallas-kachan-2012-3

And welcome on this forum that has been for long very animated and interesting.
I personally do not post as often as I used to, it took me too much time, but I might come back.

Louise

DCA

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 10:24:16 PM »

I wonder what is meant by alternative/clean energy in the first place.  One of my favourite stocks right now is INE.  No longer a penny stock, is alternative/clean but I would be hard pressed to class it as green.

On the other hand one could look at TIM.  It qualifies as a penny stock but perhaps it is heading the wrong way.

Okay, pulling my tongue out of cheek now: ROR & AXY.

I would consider AXY as the stronger case.  More diversified too.

D
garilou

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 03:17:10 AM »

Hi DCA,
Long time no see.
I just wanted to say hello.
I'll give a look at your suggested stocks.
Hope you are doing fine,

Louise
DCA

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:08:37 PM »

A couple of weeks ago AXY released some financials.  ~5 cents/share EBITDA.  So at least one indicator is heading into positive.

INE continues to be my best performing cleanish energy stock.

D

PS Louise, I am doing fine.  Switched pace last August and now the stock market is my job and engineering my hobby.  Trust you are doing fine.

I think I might try to shake some life into these boards now I have some time on my hands.

D
garilou

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 01:16:51 AM »

Hi DCA,

Sorry I took again so long to reply.
This was a pretty big switch indeed, that you have made!
How can you do engineering as a hobby?

For me, since I am retired and widow, apart from gardening and riding, trading has also been taking more and more place in my life.

The past year, I have developed my own system, and I have increased my win/loss ratio incredibly, I am amazed my self.

It took me lots of research, reading and programming, but it starts bear fruits and now I can trade in any market or specific stock trend.
When I say « my own system » , I do not pretend I invented any thing revolutionary, let’s say I just put together many ideas (and rejected many others given as « basic principles »).

I still have to thank SSP, because it all started with a very short post from one of the SSPs that gave the initial spark.

The system doesn't do it on its own, (like the mega computers we hear about), I still need to take the decisions my self. This means that I also had to change a lot my way of thinking.

10 days ago, my son decided to invest $4,000 in my "risk" portfolio (you know that with only $4000.00 you can't do anything), and this gives me more fun and incentive.
I made clear with him this was an amount he was ready to loose completely, (but I doubt this could ever happen) and since then, I have beaten the markets by 5%: I guess this will not always be the case.

You wrote :
« I think I might try to shake some life into these boards now I have some time on my hands. »

Yes it would be nice  to reactivate this site, it used to be fun.
I am looked around to see if you have posted new subjects, I did not find any.
I like to see « newbies », but I wish we could find contact again with the older members.
Sure Tara is always there, but he seems one of the few that keep posting.

I hope that your new main activity is rewarding, and not only financially.

Louise

DCA

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 10:51:36 AM »

I should start a fresh thread on engineering as a hobby and the ethics of stock market trading before I hijack this thread to far.  (Sorry Michelle)

On a related note my current 'hobby' is at a Vancouver "clean energy" company.  It is private, a start-up and they cannot afford me which keeps them worried.

A previous company I worked for was recently bought by Clean Energy.

But there is no 'clean energy'.  There is only 'less damaging'.  Often with things like solar cells the greenies forget to include the energy and pollution costs that go into making the cells.  Wind power (another one of my 'hobby' projects!) advocates fail to mention the consequences of localized heating.  Strangely enough I think the greenist project I have been involved in has been one to turn coal plant exhaust into fertilizer.

The problem with green energy investing is that most is either private, somewhat tainted or bought up by large corporations that will never see the 'green' label bestowed on them.  Check out http://www.google.ca/finance?q=NSE:RELIANCE for reasons I cannot quite find myself to say they have quite a thick green streak.  (And some rather nice company resort style hotels around power plants in the middle of nowhere.)

Green is in the eye of the beholder.  McD`s is actually one of the greenist large caps around.  (Who`d thought, eh!)

There is a problem with `Green`.  Green is hot, green is new, green, well as the frog said`Ìt isn`t easy being green.`

Large companies want green.  This means that green is often bought before they list.  If they list then it is because of no one buying them.  So they come on the market above a dollar and then head into the penny zone.  Not exactly a falling knife - more like a fluttering leaf heading for the compost pile.

Politics is hard to separate from green.  Run of the river projects are politically supported right now.  Many despite poor business practices and with high risk factors if a change in government decides that the environmental damage to fisheries exceeds the carbon free energy footprint.  Even that is not green.  ROR exists so that BC Hydro can preserve dam water to sell power to California at peak power rates.  On an internal province basis ROR does not make economic sense.

D
garilou

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 06:30:06 AM »

But there is no 'clean energy'.  There is only 'less damaging'. 

In a sense, I tend to agree.
But is this not true from almost all human activities?
Forty cows in a barn produce so much greenhouse gas emissions.
100 of barns are a catastrophe.
In Germany, there a small village where they recuperate all of it, and produce energy for the homes of almost all the village, lighting of the streets.
Is this energy greener?
Cows are NOT green.
So much energy is wasted to feed cows and produce beef.
Using their "by-products" is green, and seemingly much less expensive then buying the traditional electricity.

Greener would be no cows, no milk, no steak on the dinner table.

Anything tried to protect the environment, even if it is 100% "clean" is green.

I do not understand this sentence:
"This means that green is often bought before they list. "

As for the "green" stocks going down, I know something about this, I have lost enough money on some of them.
That was a "youth" mistake (I was not that young).
It is sad, but you have to make a very short trade on them and don't expect to keep them more then a day or two, sometimes a few hours.

But I've bought BQE again. They come out with their results tomorrow, it will be a good gain or a bad loss.
I usually do not like to be in when results come out.
But the recent activity let me think that the stock could move up...

I consider BQE one of my only possible investments in miners (except for when I short, if we can call shorting "an investment"  Wink )

Louise

PS: If the company you work for can't afford you as a hobby engineer, maybe , as a full time investor, your could buy them...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: