Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:27:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please, write to us so we can activate your new account!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bear Market?  (Read 14453 times)
AnthonyRPF

« on: November 19, 2007, 01:18:47 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I know it has been mentioned before, but I am curious if there would be any way to test how SSP would perform during a bear market? 

The returns from the past couple of years do look impressive, but during that time the market has been quite bullish.   Now it seems like this US housing trouble is shaking up the market quite a bit, enough for people to say the end is near.  Whether you believe that or not, I am still curious as to how well the SSP would perform if the markets do turn around.   

On a side note, it is a little concerning to watch all of the Ultimate Price Momentum Portfolios down over 12%, although I am fully aware that volitility is the name of the game... 

Anthony
bryanmcn

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 12:52:03 PM »

Hi Anthony
The SSP is an extremely volatile portfolio. It has had draw downs of 40% at times! That is (in my opinion) much more than 99% of most investors or traders can handle phycologically. As such I watch the overall market movements and place stops based on technical support levels. I do miss out on some gains but also on some losses. My portfolio has improved using SSP in a big way but I am not a gambler. Using stops when the market looks like its topped or is on a down trend is how I sleep at night.
SSP managers have indicated that they might consider a shorting strategy in the future. Perhaps they can comment on that (?)
Super Stock Picker
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 10:05:47 PM »

Hello,

Yes, we can confirm that we have plans to elaborate some bear market strategies. Unfortunately, we don't have a deadline for that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: