Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
April 18, 2024, 06:42:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Please, write to us so we can activate your new account!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Microcredit - Kiva  (Read 29809 times)
garilou

« on: December 30, 2008, 11:45:03 PM »

Hello,

Following a discussion started in another thread:
Actually I just invested some money at www.kiva.org a financial investment sure to generate a negative real rate of return. (Figured they could use a plug here -- if one is rich enough to gamble in the market....)
, I think it is a good idea to split a new topic to continue this interesting discussion.

Feel free to comment and to add more if you have any insight about the topic of microcredit.

Oh wow!

I've heard a lot about micros credit, mostly from Bangladesh
This is really something I have admired since the first time I heard about it, and was so happy when that "banker" Muhammad Yunus received the Peace Nobel price!

We heard so much about the opposite: greedy people lending money to poor people and taking their kids to make them work till the loan was reimbursed, which meant never.
I saw those poor little boys diving for shrimps and I never bought shrimps from that country anymore, which I did before, thinking I was helping....

But I would never have thought individuals could participate.
I spent a lot of time on the kiwa web site.
How have you come to really trust this particular organization?

Your rate of return will probably not very high in $$$, but I'm sure it will be the best investment you ever did in your life!

I don't think I need to tell you "Good luck" anymore!

Louise
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:48:56 AM by Super Stock Picker » Logged
DCA

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 04:02:47 PM »

Just returned from a business trip to India.  Found another microcredit orginization.

This one is http://www.rangde.org  A little different in that this gives a 2% return to the lender. Better than some bonds lately.

D
DCA

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 12:37:37 PM »

This thread needs a little refreshing to give Kiva http://www.kiva.org/ a little plug.

$2.8 million loaned this week and a 99% repayment rate.  (Better than the repayment rate on student loans in Canada)

Give to a worthy cause.  People that earn money - spend money, and that helps stock prices.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: