Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
May 01, 2024, 09:54:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You have to register again even if you are already a member of the Super Stock Picker.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New on canadian market...  (Read 21339 times)
badguiz

« on: March 17, 2008, 11:07:30 AM »

Hi everbody !

I am quite new on the canadian market, and I need information/help to guide me.

First I would like to know who are the online brokers that offer the lowest equities ? I know TradeFreedom that seems to be good, but who are the others ? I also know Disnat but it is quite expensive !

Secondly, I would like to know where I could find infos on options ? I am trading in France and I use a great web site named www.boursorama.com where all the options (warrants, turbos etc.) are listed. This site is a model for me and I would like to know if something exists for canadian/US stocks ?

Finally, does anybody know about fiscality ? What are the taxes on gain ? When are we considered to be professionnal ?

Thanks for all !
slavas

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:34:12 PM »

Hi badguiz,

- who are the online brokers that offer the lowest equities?
I use Questrade as online broker. The cost is as low as $4.95 per equity transaction and 10.95 per option contract.
See http://www.questrade.com/ for more details.
If you consider joining, let me know so I will refer you. They have a referral program and the referrer and referree both get free trades.

- where I could find infos on options?
In Canada options are traded on Montreal Exchange. You can find the information and the quotes here:
http://www.m-x.ca/nego_liste_en.php

- Finally, does anybody know about fiscality ? What are the taxes on gain ? When are we considered to be professionnal ?
You'd better consult an accountant for that question. If I am not wrong, only 50% of the portfolio income in Canada is being taxed, meaning for every $100 gain your personal marginal tax rate will be applied on $50.

Hope this helps.
Slava.
badguiz

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 03:32:52 PM »

Hi Slava !

Thank you very much for your answer, it helps me a lot ! That is exactly what I wanted to know ! Grin I will have a look on Questrade and I'll let you know if I consider joining them...
Thanks again,

Guillaume
badguiz

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 04:43:46 PM »

Well, I've just trial the web platform for free with questrade. It is not so easy to deal with, and I am not sure to fully understand how it works, but I think it would be just a question of time.

There is something that I would like to know.... I don't really know all the firms that quote on the market, and I really don't want to make a research letter by letter etc. Is there a way to search for the most active stocks of the day/month/year ? Is there a way to search for the most active options, with the biggest volume ?

I ask this because the platform I use (not for canadian/US market) is very simple for this. It is simply a web site (free access, no loggin) where I can find all the stocks and options of the market, with their volume, variation etc. It is then straitforward to find a very active stock/option to trade on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: