Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:11:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You have to register again even if you are already a member of the Super Stock Picker.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Funny news.  (Read 16456 times)
garilou

« on: June 23, 2009, 02:10:50 AM »

Hi all,
I guess that while you are "doing your due diligence", (the typical way to say: "I'm not responsible for the losses you might incur by buying the stock I'm telling you to buy"), you happen to fall, like I often do, on funny news.

Some are just plainly funny, or is it the choice of words, others are funny... in retrospect.

I though it could be fun to share them.

Here are two.
1. (Not too funny for the person though):
Southwest Suddenly Decides Frequent Flyer Is Too Big To Fly

2. Inmet feels the love from the market
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 09:32 AM
Inmet Mining, which hasn't sold stock in a decade, was feeling the love from investors on Tuesday.
<snip--->
The new stock was sold at $44.50 a share, an 8 per cent discount to where Inmet stock was trading prior to news of the financing.

...Monday June 22 2009: IMN closing price: 38.70. Maybe it was not love, but a ... I don't know if I am allowed to use some words here. A "O N S" ?

Question: Do you "love" the stocks that you buy?

Louise

DCA

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 11:24:04 AM »

Interesting airline news there.  Useful for me since I am anticipating flying frequently into Phoenix.

Illustrates a classic bureaucratic problem.  Once the lackies have decided they can be very difficult to change.  They will go to great lengths to avoid looking at any information that might contradict their world view.  Hence they did not call up his frequent flyer information since that might show that he had never needed two seats before.

Lesson to be learned is when investing in the stock market, always look at the information that says you might be wrong.

D
garilou

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 04:46:39 PM »

DCA,

Lesson to be learned is when investing in the stock market, always look at the information that says you might be wrong.

Although this was not exactly the idea of this topic that just wanted to be funny, this advice is really good, and it is not always easy. We naturally tend to see what gives us reason.
When I went short on FIU, it was because I had seen a specific news, where I became sure it would not get or stay above 7.00.
But I am pretty sure I was happy to see that news, because I had made only losses with this stock and was probably emotively ready to pay attention to a negative news, when all were still so bullish on it.
Louise

PS Go luck with your frequent flies to Phoenix. Choose the airline carefully Wink
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:48:25 PM by garilou » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: