Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:05:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You have to register again even if you are already a member of the Super Stock Picker.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Short Selling-Long/short strategy  (Read 16041 times)
burd

« on: May 09, 2007, 10:54:03 PM »

Short selling stocks is not talked about that much but it can be a great hedge against a market downturn. A long/short portfolio can greatly improve performance while decreasing volatility. I am looking to add some short positions to my portfolio would like to know if anyone has read any books or internet sites on short selling. I know all the basics and risks but need something like the superstockpicker overvalued stocks or high PEG stocks. If anyone has any success with short selling please give your thoughts.
bryanmcn

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 06:58:11 AM »

I have shorted from time to time but not recently. On average the markets go up more than they go down. You have limited gains when shorting and unlimited losses and you can't short in an RSP account.
I do agree shorting has its advantages. Rather than holding cash in a down market it is a viable strategy.
Whats been your success ratio?
poopeepants

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 11:21:47 AM »

Shorting a position strategy like ssp is no good.  I short in my swing trading and used to short in day trading.  Also, shorting is not a capital gain or loss according to the tax man.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: