Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
April 27, 2024, 07:09:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You have to register again even if you are already a member of the Super Stock Picker.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ALS - Oct 9th run up  (Read 23892 times)
bryanmcn

« on: October 09, 2007, 12:37:38 PM »

Oct 9th - big run up in ALS. I found a release on their web site today http://www.altiusminerals.com/  today by Hayward Securities that rates them as a "Sector Outperform" with a $37 target price.
Not that I'm into fundamentals ...
Victor

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 11:21:12 PM »

Hi bryanmcn,

TIM took off again today.  Seems like something "kicked in" at around 1 p.m. today (ET).  Even GCE jumped a bit, unfortunately I was out by then, but I'll take the mini-profit.  Actually, I thought my tracking spreadsheet was broken.  I updated it in the afternoon to see a 7%+ return for the day.  I'm definitely thinking of thinning out my TIM position as it now accounts for 30%+ of the portfolio.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Victor
bryanmcn

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 01:44:50 PM »

TIM continues its upward movement today.

This released yesterday - At the request of Market Surveillance on behalf of the Toronto Stock Exchange, Timminco Limited ("Timminco") (TIM) would like to update investors. There have been no material developments at Timminco that would explain the recent trading activity in Timminco's stock.

I am out.
Victor

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:07:42 PM »

TIM wasn't following through this morning so I trimmed the position to put it back under 25% of the account.  This aft it looks to be recovering.  Oh well, I am happy to have trimmed it, the swings in the portfolio were getting large due to this one stock.  Still got some though... why are you out of it altogether?

cheers,

Victor
DCA

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 09:55:06 AM »

Bryanmcn,

With regards to TIM you are letting an emotion - worry (Hey!  we have no emoticon for worry!) :-S get in your way.

Many of the SSP picks get the standard Market Surveillance blurb released.  MS tends to ask the companies for this press release when ever volume X price change gets above a certain value.  Which means it is a momentum stock and TIM is in a Momentum portfolio.

TIM had a terrible year last year wich is why it was trading at 0.75 in Feb.  This year will not be profitable but with the contracts it has it can expect at least $1.90 per share through 2010.  After that the market might not be so rosey for it.

Given that I stocked up when it was at 3.25 I must admit that it does cause some twinges in my gut.

DCA
bryanmcn

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 06:00:19 AM »

DCA
You are absolutely right about my trade being based on emotion. Its October, and I'm afraid of heights.
Bryan
DCA

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 11:54:06 AM »

Bryanmcn,

That I can understand.  I am now looking at almost as much profit in TIM than what my day job pays for a year.

Given that by the end of the month a "fresh" batch of sub-prime mortgages pop there are plenty of rational reasons to be nervous.

However, I do not always blindly follow SSP picks.  TIM looks good on paper too.  My prediction is a high above $20 for the year.

D
WAYNE

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 04:59:02 AM »

Hello to all. new here and new to investing for myself.

ALS ran up for two interrelated reasons. The first reason was an anouncement on Friday at 5:15 pm of the approval of the enviormental impact study by the province of NL. The timing of this announcement was to coincide with the provincial election. There was no movement in price on Monday. It jumped on Tuesday, the same day as the election and the return to power of Danny Williams as premier. Williams is a strong supporter of this refinery and Brian Dalton the president of Altius, is a strong supporter of Williams.
                  But this refinery is not just political hocus pocus, the fourth partner in the deal with ALS is Stephen Posford a heavy finance hitter, who was once head of Saloman Brothers in Europe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: