Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
April 20, 2024, 11:24:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You have to register again even if you are already a member of the Super Stock Picker.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How does eyeryone else use the system?  (Read 30356 times)
Tom Swift

« on: September 04, 2006, 07:35:00 PM »

I am pretty new to this site but I have looked at the performance over the past two years. What I thought was interesting were some of the large losses. I was thinking that some stop losses would be handy but then was wondering if setting them too conservative would cause them to trigger before some of the picks gained. I also thought that perhaps a good strategy would be to buy all the selections from every portfolio and stop loss them all so even if you miss some of them, the quantity would offset this. However, I noticed that many of the picks are the same for each portfolio, negating that idea.

I was interested in how other members used the information on the web site.
Super Stock Picker
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 11:25:53 AM »

Hi Tom,

Two remarks about your ideas:
- Stop loss coulb be indeed dangerous to use beacause you could cut some positions before they rebound. There are only a few obvious cases for which it is evident that a stop loss would have saved some money but for a lot of other cases, it is tricky to predict if it would have been profitable or not. We plan to backtrack some stop loss conditions on our portfolio and we will publish the results of such tests when they will be done.
- The portfolios can be divided in three families, in which you will find the same picks. They are: Price Momentum (Weekly, Monthly and Ultimate Series vX), Earnings Estimate Upgrades (Weekly and Monthly) and Low PEG Ratio.
About the Price Momentum portfolio, this study explains what are the differences between the portfolios: http://www.superstockpicker.com/ultimate_price_momentum_series_study.html
rodgarnett

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 11:53:49 PM »

HI TOM I AM NEW TO STOCK PICKER. IN FACT THIS IS THE VERY FIRST USE OF THE WEB SPACE. I AGREE WITH YOU ON STOP LOSSES. I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY WORKED AND MANAGER TO LOOSE OVER 58,000.00 IN LESS THAN A MONTH IN 2000. I HAD NO STOP LOSSES AND WAS SICK IN HOSPITAL. I WAS IN A COMA FOR A MONTH. WHEN I WAS ABLE TO RETURN HOME AND LOOK AT MY STOCKS ALL MY MONEY WAS GONE EXCEPT FOR 3000.00. I KNOW THIS IS EXTREME BUT I HAVE BEEN AN EXTREME LOOSER. I DON'T THINK I COULD PICK AS WINNER IF YOU GAVE IT TO ME. SO NOW I DECIDE HOW MUCH I WILL INVEST THEN I DECIDE HOW MUCH I WILL LOOSE BEFORE I CALL IT OFF. AND I SET MY MAX LOSS AT 25%. THEN IT SIS SOLD. IF THE STOCK REBOUNDS 10% ABOVE IT FALL BOTTOM I WILL BUY IT GAIN AND TRY TO GET A RIDE UP. I HAVE DONE THIS A LOT BUT NEVER ON A BIG WINNER. THIS YEAR I HAD 40,000 SHARES OF AFFI ON BB AND SOLD OUT AROUND 17 CENTS AND IT WENT TO A DOLLAR AND IS STILL AROUND 45 CENTS. SO THAT COULD HAVE BEEN A WINNER.  ANY WAY IN NEVER CONTROLLED MY LOSSES BEFORE AND I LOST MY LIFE SAVING AT THE TIME.  NOW I STILL LOOSE MY LIFE'S SAVINGS BUT I DO IT IN SMALLER AMOUNTS. SO I HAVE A LITTLE MORE FUN AS I WATCH MY BIG FORTUNE BECOME A SMALL FORTUNE. LOL.
burd

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 01:58:35 AM »

Hey Guys,

The stop loss is a good idea. My rules are buy a stock at the right time and if I am wrong, I sell at 8%-10% without thinking about it. I let my winners ride and usually sell at 25%-50%. With this system you can be wrong 66% of the time and still make money. There are many ways to pick good stocks but if you use this web site for ideas, I suggest buy the stock picker stocks in the low peg ratio and sell any that goes down by more that 10% buy using a stop loss on your order. I know selling a looser is very hard but it must be done to keep your money for the next trade. I bought imax, lionore, and pan silver when they came up on the screen. I sold imax at a 8% loss and am up over 10% on the other 2 stocks so far. Warren Buffet said the best way to make money is NOT to LOSE it. A great book to read before you invest is How To Make Money In Stocks by William j. O'neil. If you can follow a system and stick to it you should do well. Grin

B
denaliguide2

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 06:42:17 PM »

Well guys, how about setting a level consistent with no more than 10%, probably about 7%, by finding a level, thru technical analysis, that you think should hold for a rebound.  If its a "dead cat" bounce, then sell or activate a stoploss.  Instead of doing that, and instead of letting a profit turn into a loss, I use a "trailing" stop sell, based on a percentage.  The stop relentlessly moves up as the stock moves up, but NEVER moves down.  Once the stock puts itself in a danger zone, ZIP, its gone.  So far everything removed from the portfolio this way has been a GOOD SELL, and has never returned to the previous levels in the short term!!
Super Stock Picker
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 10:47:32 PM »

Hey Guys,

I see some good ideas coming from here...

When we will start to back test the effect of the stop sell orders on the performances of our portfolios, we will do it with the trailing stop orders too.

denaliguide2, when do you update your trailing orders? Every day, every week? The Super Stock Picer system have been build with keeping in mind that it should be simple and that it should take just a few minutes per week to build the portfolios. Nevertheless, if adding some complexity improves the perfomances, then it is a good thing to be proposed to the users.
Super Stock Picker
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 11:01:58 PM »

I have also started this other thread where people can list the stop they sell via a stop loss order:
http://www.superstockpicker.com/forum/index.php?topic=11.0

I will update the posts when the stock is actually sold by the system and it will allow to quickly check how profitable the stop loss orders are.

burd, I have posted your IMAX example there, but I need the sell price to add to the post. Thanks.
aubrey.oneill

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 11:53:43 PM »

I have been following the stock picks for a while and got some great returns. What I do is on the weekly I buy 1000 shares of the recommended stocks at 1:30 Mountain time on Mondays, as most buys are listed for the close on Mondays which is 2:00 Mountain time. I find the price can change a bit but usually you are about the same as the recommended buys.
Then if they show up again on the #3 picks I buy another 1000 units. This gives me 1000 of the weekly and 2000 of the #3's.
The only thing to be aware of is that if you go to sell 2000 shares you don't always get a sale as the volume of stocks trading is sometimes low and you can not always sell the 2000 shares in the last 30 minutes.
Overall though I have had great success using this platform.
You will always have ups and downs so be patient and be disaplined.
freedomplanner

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 12:32:33 PM »

Hi everyone ...
My first comment:
I agree that SSP is a very good group, and they pick some great stocks (it's almost kind of spooky) ..
My second comment:
Regarding stop losses and trailing stops:
In my experience and the training I've received, percentages do not work ...
Each chart is different.. You need to analyze your chart, determine where the support level is and keep adjusting your sell stop to just below this level .. (you can have a tight trailing stop at the same time) ..

Regarding the sell point:
Look at the chart history of the stock .. Observe how it has acted in the past, especially the resistance point (the point it has consolidated but never gone above) .. Look at how far and fast it traditionally goes up etc . .   Once it's above any resistance it may develop some legs as well ...

This is just my two cents ..  Hope it helps some of you ...

Scott

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: