Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:35:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You have to register again even if you are already a member of the Super Stock Picker.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real result. May 2008 performance  (Read 30608 times)
dhamel

« on: May 31, 2008, 08:02:57 AM »

For those would you ask if it is possible to realize the same performance as Superstockpicker.

And how much difference would there be between actual trading and SSP result.

For May 2008, SSP V4 show 62.85% return I got 62.54%

Pretty close.  difference come from the Fill price on entry,  I tipically put my order in during the weekend so I get the opening price fill, where SSP get the Close or end of day price.

Thank you SSP.

bryanmcn

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 11:48:39 AM »

Did you get that on your entire portfolio or a portion?
dhamel

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 06:49:37 AM »

The way I work is that I setup account specifically to trade a particular method.  This way I can track the result very precisely.

So In this case this account whent from 88K to 150k in that month.

It is the same account as the one you can see on the Home page of SSP on the right side in the testimonial.   Between October to end of december it went from 104K to 116K and then down to 82K in January and now back up to 150K.

bryanmcn

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 12:11:26 PM »

Do You enjoy roller coasters too?
How difficult was it to watch your portfolio drop by 30% in 3 months?
dhamel

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 05:32:08 PM »

30% drop is really not that important, actually it was more 39%.  Have you ever trade commodity?

Can't expect return like SSP if you dont take a higer level of risk. 

Di you know that someone that would have bought the TSX in 1996 and kept there money in there, would have experiment a 50% drawdown and only 9% return.  My conclusion is then that the risk is way higher investing in the TSX index, because for a level of risk of 50%, I only would have got 9% return

So far SSP have a return of around 3 times the drawdown for me,  and I suspect that overal it is even higher.

So the real risk come from not following it.

I can understand that you may not want to do that with your retirement money, that's a choice you have.  Me I can leave with this volatility, especially the upside volatility.   Wink

Denis

bryanmcn

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 11:56:51 AM »

Hi Denis
Is it safe to say then that the money in SSP is not your entire portfolio?
dhamel

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 09:00:03 PM »

Not totally, does not mean that other trading program that I follow are less of a roller coaster.

bryanmcn

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 10:13:18 PM »

If it’s a large portion of your savings then I commend you on your discipline. The psychology of trading is what dooms most of us to chicken out when the going gets tough.
How do you do it? What keeps you from pulling the trigger when you see an obvious correction happening? How often do you even check your results?

dhamel

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 07:55:54 AM »

I Check the result at least once a day.  But this is because I also trade the mechanical system and also commodities.

I think that what make it easier is when you are way ahead in your profit and are not eating on your initial capital.

Also, it is the fact that you must accept the result of your trading.   I have decided to stick to this portfolio as it is.  I did put an initial 50K in it and I dont plan of doing anything with this until I hit the 1 Million mark with it.   

At the CAGR that SSP v4 is running, I expect this to happen in between february and july 2010.

This is a nice experiment no?

Also, If someone can tell me that they ever made money investing in mutual fund, than maybe I would do something else, but so far, all my investment in Mutual Fund over the last 10 year have lost money and continue to do so.

So again the real risk come from doing nothing to find better way of making money.   So far SSP have been the best for me. 

I had started to do the same in the US, but the exchange rate was killing the return, so I did look in Canada and found SSP.

Denis
skimmy

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 08:09:02 AM »

If I may ask, when did you initially invest the $50k in SSP? And based on what you're saying that $50k is solely invested in SSP right?

Thanks.
dhamel

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 08:55:54 AM »

I started following SSP4 in January 2007, as seen on my statement in the first testimonial on the Home page   http://www.superstockpicker.com/Denis-value.jpg

Note, that during the first year I was not using the correct allocation formula, so I had much less return than SSP (Still 130%) I have since this year corrected my allocation formula.  So my return for the future should match pretty closely those of SSP4.

skimmy

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 09:15:42 AM »

Sorry didn't realize that was you. I had read something about you in an older thread but just didn't link the two together!

Well that's good to hear that you've had such great results!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: