Enter a symbol:
For Toronto: TSX:TD
FORUM

You are here :  Home > Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:04:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: You have to register again even if you are already a member of the Super Stock Picker.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Other Stock Picking Strategies  (Read 93426 times)
bryanmcn

« on: June 18, 2008, 06:42:23 AM »

Does anyone have any recommendations for other sites that have done well and have the same format as SSP?

I used to follow the QIS site http://www.qiscapital.com/index.php
But their track record in the past year and a half has been poor and they often trade very small cap penny stocks.

I'm looking for something that plays larger cap canadian stocks priced over $5.
Any suggestions?
Victor

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 02:38:45 PM »

Hi Bryan, don't know of any sites like SSP for larger cap stocks.  However, I think you, DCA and I seem to be on similar thought patterns about this stuff. 

Would you, DCA, or others be interested in an idea exchange, or collaborative effort?

Cheers,

Victor
bryanmcn

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 07:40:20 PM »

Sure! I'm in. How should we proceed?
skimmy

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »

I would be interested in joining in as well. If for no other reason then just to learn. However, as Bryan said 'How should we proceed?'?
DCA

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 08:23:53 PM »

The easy way to proceed is right here.  I think SSP will let us know if he objects pretty fast.

Super Stock Picker
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 08:38:06 PM »

Hi Guys,

No problem at all, you're all welcome to exchange your ideas here.

Who knows, maybe, if it is possible and if it is something that interests you, we could implement your strategy as a new portfolio here...
bryanmcn

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 05:50:47 AM »

What about using the SSP portfolios as a basis and building something from that? The SSP system is very mechanical in order to take out human emotion.
The Japanese have a concept called "Autonomation". It means "automation with a human touch". With that in mind, I suggest we survey all of the SSP picks from the past and present and use our knowledge of charts to pick buys, sells and shorts. There are many gems from the SSP historical trades that may be good plays but miss the mechanical eyes of the system. There may be picks that the system picks up but, because of gaps or news, we reject as buys.

I would strongly suggest using charting techniques. Any other thoughts?

Bryan
DCA

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 10:39:59 AM »

I like that word Auonomation.  It is essentially how I bias initial purchases and the size of holding.

Take for example SMX there did not seem to be air in the tires so while I did buy with SSP I did not buy much.  On the other hand, a current pick TEC, shows a margin in the area of 35-40% and a healthy net.  (In truth I bought this one prior to the SSP pick.)

It is also important to learn from SSP.  Eventually SSP will stop publishing updates to its portfolios so right now I try to predict SSP buys and sells.  The other thing to consider is that if SSP continues word will spread.  At that point the SSP picks will tend to ballon when they are picked and potentially drop thereafter.  In other words the success of SSP will influence the market.  Right now V4 is the best performing but as this takes affect it will be the earlier portfolios that start to lead.

DCA
bryanmcn

ARI
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 05:03:39 PM »

Yes. I agree. Look at ARI. When SSP called it a sell it was hard to get out of it as it is thinly traded. I've held on to it and today (after the members have finished selling I presume) it popped 5% on a down market day.
DCA

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 07:43:45 PM »

As a general rule I find that the best performing value to buy a stock at appears to be around $3.

These stocks are small enough to not have been noticed and yet some of the start-up risk has been removed.

I also listen to my clients.  Some of the best investments are sticking to what you know.  (and is the closest to inside trading without being an 'insider')

BTW bryanmcm I just visited your website and realized we are in quite similar business.

D
DCA

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 08:09:30 PM »

For the record my five largest nonSSP (Current) holdings:

TIM (4.27)
INTC (19.23)
NEM (2.62)
WEW (1.20)
RRE (0.40)

So perhaps I do not strictly follow my own $3 rule.

D
bryanmcn

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 09:55:32 PM »

Your $3 rule seemed to work. I bought 4000 shares of WTN on April 1 for $3.45. Still holding it at $10.71
metro

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 01:39:16 PM »

perhaps we should start a second thread in which whoever starts it (we cna vote on that) administers (and updates) the first post which will contain our collective portfolio.

in the subsequent postings in this master thread we can discuss potiential picks, explain why, and vote on them to se if we agree it should make the portfolio.

good idea?
bryanmcn

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 03:48:13 PM »

Voting is one option. Here's another ... How about a friendly competition?
We all run our own portfolio in real dollars from a real account. Each of us communicates the buys and sells and we are all free to discuss what we think we should do. We might end up with very similar holdings or maybe not. Either way, members have three options (or more if someone else cares to join in) and the results are published monthly. (Trades are published as they happen)

We could each start our own thread with our name as the title.

No rush for this. I think the markets are frothing and due for a correctoin which may bring the SSP down a notch or two as I have speculated. Besides ... its summer and I want to play!

Could we start this later after we see the ssp go through a nice 40% correction?

Bryan
garilou

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008, 04:16:46 PM »

Yes! I guess this could be fun... sometimes one feels so alone: since my husband died last July, (he was good and quick in his decisions!) I know no one around me who's interested in talking about the stock markets and trading.

But being real honest on our trades might sometimes difficult. When I talk (very little because people are not interested) about it, I have the very human tendency to talk about my good moves, and less about my poorer moves, even if I know that no one wins every time.

But back to the last idea, (bryanmcn's) - not that the other are not good - I guess we would need a dedicated board, wouldn't we?

Should we separate the different portfolios (RSSP, US margin, Can Margin, US shorts, Can shorts)?
Let's think more, something fun could come out.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 04:26:27 PM by garilou » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: